Plymouth Barracuda Fastback
Removal & Build Up
Started cleaning, bead-blasting, priming and painting the Front-End parts. K Member and Upper & Lower control Arms sent out to be Powder Coated. Should receive back soon. Awaiting poly front end rebuild kit.
Got the parts back from Powder Coating.
Here is the step-by-step building of the Front End
Purchased new poly bushing kit, ball joints, and tie rods. Made front link bar out of 17-4 Stainless hex bar and polished it.
15 x 6 with 4-1/8" Backspacing. Will look GREAT with the matching Steering Wheel (see Interior page) and Ghost Flames on front fenders.
Front Tires from - 215-15 x 60
Coil-Over Shocks. Comes with Coil-Over Shock, 450 lb Spring and a Top Stud Conversion Kit. Great looking Shock! Will work perfectly on this car!! --- Installation of this product will come later.
Now that we have the car back from the paint shop, we can start putting it back together.
We modified the front K member in order to do away with the torsion bars. We are replacing the torsion bars with coil-overs. This will give us more clearance under the car (for headers, etc.).
The part # for the shocks is DR 4855B. The part # for the Spring is 10-450
- Installed Stainless Steel Brake Lines. Here are pictures of the lines from the Master Cylinder, from Rotor to Rotor and to Rear End.
Finished installing all steering and front end linkage and power steering gear box.
The Power Steering box has to go - not enough clearance for it and the headers. We purchased a used steering box, but found out it was worn out inside, so.... We will be receiving a new Steering Box. This is what it should look like when we receive it. Received the Quick Ratio steering box.
Prior to installing the steering box, we primed it, and painted it with chrome paint and then clear-coated it which gave it that "Mopar Silver" look. Installed the new Steering Box. It was a little tight, because we are using 2" diameter tube headers. Here are a couple of pictures of it (from all angles).
Here is the box installed with all steering linkage hooked up.
Here is a picture of the wheel on the front end.
Got the tires mounted. Here is what they look like.
Air Operated Hood
We wanted to do something different with the hood. We had a 6-pack fiberglass hood made, but there is no company (that we could find) that makes light weight springs for this particular year Barracuda. So we decided to make the hood air operated from inside the car. As with everything with this car, we have to fabricate things, but that’s what will make it unusual and unique.
We found some 4” stroke X 1-1/2” o.d. Stainless Steel cylinders. John fabricated brackets to mount the cylinders inside the fender-wells. We used part # 25592 Air Compressor unit. It comes with all wiring, tubing and fittings that we needed. We will mount the Air Compressor unit under the driver’s seat when we get the interior installed. The hood will lift with a switch from inside the car and can be released either inside the car or by the grill.
Front Sheet Metal
Now that the air cylinders are completed, we can install the front fenders.
Since we installed a 440 engine in the car, we felt that everyone should know that, so we fabricated a 440 emblem from our pattern for each fender then we mirror polished them prior to installation.
When we put the fenders on the car, we wanted a unique look, so we made Penta washers with Flat Head Allen bolts in the center. We aligned the front fenders and hood, installed the front grill shell, lower valance and front bumper.
We couldn’t find any Air Filter that would fit under the 6-pack hood and look trick. So we had to fabricate one.
The object was to have a functional Air Cleaner that worked with the hood scoop and to have a muscle car look. The car was already put together, giving no margin for error.
After the body work was completed, the top was primed and blocksanded and was then ready to receive the paint.
The base was prepped, epoxy primed and sprayed flat black.
The top was now sprayed with R&M Diamont Basecoat.
After appropriate flash time, the basecoat was covered with 3 coats of R&M Diamont DC92 Clear, which is where is received its glossy shine.
After drying overnight, the front screens were installed and it was now ready for show.
Here is a picture of the new Street Rod Mirrors before we installed them.
We had the mirrors painted with a matt black finish. We installed the mirrors and now we can concentrate on getting the side windows and electric window operators installed.
We wanted to do something different with the grill. Since some of the original ribs in the grill were broken, we chose to go with a polished stainless steel flame design. Here are a couple of pictures of what it looks like. We will take more pictures once the pieces are installed.
This is before we trimmed it to size.
We had to modify the grill to accept the flames. We primed and painted the remainder of the grill with gloss black and silver and added the flames. We then installed the new parking light lenses and gaskets that we received from Year One.
Here is the grill insert inside the parking light.
Here is a picture of the grill installed back on the car.
Here are some NEW pictures of how the car looks now. It really is starting to look like a car (instead of a shell).